I’m fully aware that pate is not to everybody’s taste. As a family we love pate but its often shop brought. Having made smoked trout pate I wondered how simple other types of pate would be to make. This recipe for chicken liver pate was so easy.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 slices of rindless bacon, chopped
- 250g chicken livers, trimmed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 30g butter, extra,melted
Here in UK the best place to find chicken livers was at a butchers. Chicken livers don’t seem to be stocked as standard in UK supermarkets.
- Melt the butter and add onion, garlic and bacon.
- Cook until tender.
- Add chicken livers and cook these stirring occasionally for around 7 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and add the theyme, pepper and cream .
- Place the mixture in to a food processor or blender pulsing until smooth.
- Place in individual serving dishes and allow to chill for 3 hours.
The pate is best served with sliced toasted crusty bread accompanied by a simple salad and onion marmalade.