Baked Camembert…..what is there not to love? Gooey, creamy melted cheese, flavoured subtly with garlic, rosemary, and good quality olive oil. For me baked camembert is a really quick and easy lunch when you are craving comfort food especially this time of the year when all I want to do is stay inside under a cosy blanket, sit by the fire and lose myself in everything hygge.
Baked camembert is also an ideal starter for a cosy meal with friends with everyone dipping fresh bread into the garlic and rosemary flavoured gooey cheese. Another favourite time of ours to have baked camembert is Christmas Eve; rich gooey cheese just fits perfectly with the festive season.
Do You Bake Camembert In A Cardboard Box?
When baking Camembert you can bake it in the wooden box it came in, providing you remove the paper wrapping. Not all Camembert cheese comes in a wooden box, and if it came in a cardboard box you must remove the cardboard before baking. If the cheese did not come in a wooden box then you will need to use a small bowl suitable for the oven. Do not put the Camembert in the oven without the wooden box or in a bowl as it will just melt and spread leaving you with just a big mess and no cheese to enjoy.
When Baking Camembert Do You Leave The Lid On?
Always remove any plastic and cardboard wrapping from the cheese and cook without the lid on. Pierce the top d the camembert with a sharp knife and insert pieces of garlic and sprigs of thyme into the slits. Drizzle the cheese with olive oil and place on a baking sheet, leaving the cheese in its box.
Can You Eat The Rind on Baked Camembert?
Yes, you can eat the rind on baked camembert. Camembert is covered in an edible mold which adds to the flavour of the cheese.
What Do You Eat With Baked Camembert?
The camembert can be served with:
- Sliced French bread, fresh or drizzled with olive oil and slightly toasted.
- Ciabatta – recipe from The Baking Explorer
- Raw vegetables, especially carrots
- Salted tortilla chips
- Toasted pitta – two great recipes from Cooking With My Kids and The Urban Life
- Soda Bread
- 1 Camembert
- 1 Clove garlic
- 5 Sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4
- Remove the packaging from the camembert and place it back in the wooden box.
- Score the top of the camembert with a sharp knife.
- Finely slice the clove of garlic and push the garlic and rosemary into the camembert.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil then bake in the hot oven for 15 to 20 minutes
Have you ever tried baked camembert? what do you like to eat with it?